ai, ay Word Sort

 

Are you looking for a whole group activity that will help your students learn ai, ay then this is your activity?


When I do this activity, I will first start by placing the ai, ay in a pocket chart.  I will place them in a way that will allow them to be categorized.  Then I will show the words and have students sound it out with me.  I will then ask students which category the word should go under.  I make sure that all of the words go under the correct category.  The next thing I do is take all of the words out of the pocket chart and give one card to each student.  I will then play Mingle with my students.   Mingle is where you give each student a card.  You start the game by saying “mingle”.  Students will walk around the room until you say stop.  When you say stop, students are to find the closest person to them to partner up with.  They read their card to them and then switch cards.  I repeat this game until students lose interest.  Playing Mingle gives students several opportunities to sound out different words and get help from their peers if they need it.  My students always enjoy when we play this game.  They like the fact that while they are learning they are up and walking around the classroom.  Once you have taught this game to your students, each time that you play it the game gets easier.

 

Here some more detailed information about this activity:

 


This activity comes with:

Word Sort and Worksheet

  • Students read the words and place them under the ai or ay
  • Word Sort comes in color and black and white
  • Worksheet: students read the sentence and fill in the blank with the words below.
  • This activity covers 33 ai and ay words

 


Black and White Word Cards

-I made a card for every ai and ay word used in this activity.  You can either send the cards home or create games using the cards like Memory or Go Fish.


 

Lesson Plan

-I created a lesson plan that could be used for this literacy activity.  The lesson plan comes with common core state standards and ideas on how to use this activity.

 

Video Ideas and Books that Teach AI and AY

-I wrote down videos that cover ai and ay.  I also wrote down books that you can read that will help emphasize on ai and ay.

 

Here is another example on how to use this activity: I like to play the 2 circles game with word cards as a whole group.  The 2 circles game is where I have students get into 2 circles (an inner and outer circle).  When they get into their circle they make sure that they have a partner that faces them.  Students read their card to their partner and switch cards.  Then I have the inner circle move to the right one time.  Continue to do this until students have made a complete circle. 

 

Common Core State Standards that are covered in this activity:

RF.1.1, RF.1.2, RF.1.3, RF.1.3.c

  

 If you like this product I have bundled all of my AI and AY activities together.  It comes with:


 

 Other activities that you may like that go along with this activity:








*****Make sure that you follow me at Teachers R Us by clicking on the green star to insure that you get the latest updates about my store.*****

  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment