My Experience as a First Time Teacher pt 2



After the interview was over I didn’t know what to think.  I remember thinking over and over what kind of kids are these?  What would I be getting myself into?  I didn’t know if I wanted the principal to hire me or not.  The principal finally called me and told me that out of all of the people she had interviewed I seemed the most capable for the job.  The most capable, what does that mean?  When you are referring to misbehaving children that could mean I was a great babysitter.  I accepted the offer over the phone without even taking a look at the school.  I was too excited that someone actually wanted me.  After signing my contract I went to the school to see where I would be working at.  Let me tell you if I had saw it before I signed I would never had taken the job.  It was a Z shaped building with another building right next to it.  Half of it was boarded up.  Apparently, half of the school had been condemned because of old age.  My classroom was the building that was unattached.  The outside was hideous, but the inside was decent.  It had a bunch of chorals where the children would be sitting.  A choral is a desk that has boards on the sides and a board in the middle that the children can write on.  All of these chorals were white.  I had two chalkboards in the classroom, but the chorals were so big that one of the chalkboards was covered.  I did however have a nice big L shaped desk that the school had just bought.  I remember getting a laptop computer and being told to take it home with me every day so students would not break in to steal it.  I also had a camera that was in the corner of the wall so everything that happened in the classroom could be taped.  It was a precaution that they did for the students and the teachers to keep everyone safe.  Like I said what kind of students was I going to have?  

No comments:

Post a Comment