Teaching Our Students!

A good teacher must be able to put himself in the place of those who find learning hard.
                                                                                                                    ~Eliphas Levi

I found this quote today and thought that it was awesome. As a teacher I have strived to see where my students are having difficulties and help them where they are at instead of putting them in a box and teaching them where I think they should be at.

One of my favorite principals that I ever worked for showed me and taught me how to teach students the right way. She taught me to look beyond the curriculum and find a common ground that all of my students are at and start there. At the time, I was teaching the alphabet and it’s sounds to a kindergarten class. I still remember her asking me why are you teaching the alphabet when 90% of your students already know it. Why aren’t you teaching them where they are at instead of where you think they are at. This is when I fell in love with Literacy First. It’s such an amazing curriculum that helps teachers and students learn at the pace the whole class is at. Once my principal gave me the tools, I never looked back and I started teaching students in a whole new way. My kids loved it because they were no longer bored with me trying to teach them things they already knew. I thank God every day for that principal. She taught me how to be a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment